ABC Service


Fishing – especially in the Bodden Waters – requires a fishing licence. Alternatively, you can purchase a tourist fishing licence. In addition, you will also need a fishing permit in the form of a daily, weekly or annual ticket. More information can be found at:

Fishing in the harbours is subject to different regulations in terms of fishing tackle (for example, in Barhöft fishing is only allowed with a single gape hook).

Zachodniopomorskie & Pomorskie/PL
In Poland, you need a fishing permit issued by the Association of Polish Anglers (PZW)

In Denmark, a fishing licence is required. Fishing licences can be purchased for a year, a week or a single day. You can buy your fishing licence at Bornholm’s Velkomstcenter (the tourist information in Rønne) or with your mobile phone at:

You can get a fishing licence in tackle shops. A permit is not required.

Fishing regulations in Russia vary widely by destination. You should therefore inform yourself in more details before making your journey.

Protected zones

Driving on the national parks and biosphere reserves in Vorpommern is subject to §4 of the Coastal Area of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (NP-BefVMVK) regulation. This states that in the national park Vorpommern Boddenlandscape and in the biosphere reserve Southeast-Rügen the protection zones I and II may not be navigated outside the fairway. In the Jasmund national park this is the case for the protection zone I.

Certification for charter boats

A Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of competence (RYA/MCA) with verifiable experience as a skipper is required for the chartering of sailing yachts in Germany, Poland and Lithuania.

In Germany, a SRC (Short Range Certificate) FM radio certificate is required, insofar as there is a VHF radio on board the charter boat.

Also, in Germany, a certificate of expertise for signalling equipment (pyrotechnics licence) is required.

Bridges and Locks

Before starting off on your trip, the bridge heights and opening times should definitely be checked. Opening times vary from season to season.
Some services listing the opening hours:

Charter on the Baltic Sea

There are many charter bases along the entire southern Baltic coast with high-quality sailing boats provided by various agencies and charter companies.

Charter requests are usually made by e-mail or by phone. Contact details for the individual suppliers on the southern Baltic coast can be found in the attached list. The current list of charter providers can be found on the website:

We strive for completeness in terms of the information we provide, but this cannot be guaranteed. Suggestions and tips are welcome.

Mooring fees
Mooring fees vary in the entire area of the southern coast of the Baltic Sea. They range in price from about 12 Euro (Vorpommern, Poland) to 35 Euro (Bornholm) for a 12-metre yacht.

Charter opportunities

Along the entire Southern Baltic Sea coast, there are many possibilities for chartering motorboats. The main charter bases are:

Barth, Stralsund, Lauterbach, Greifswald, Kröslin

Szczecin, Świnoujście, Kołobrzeg

Gdynia, Górki Zachodnie, Rybina, Błotnik, Byd-
goszcz, Ebląg, Tolkmicko, Biała Góra

Region Klaipėda/LT
Klaipėda Kastellhafen

Rønne, Svaneke

Region Kaliningrad/RU
The chartering of motorboats in Kaliningrad requires a local skipper.

Fishing nets

Throughout the entire Bodden and Lagoon Waters (Strelasund, Greifswald Bodden, Peenestrom, Achterwasser, Szczecin Lagoon, Lake Dąbie and in the Vistula and Curonian Lagoon) area, skippers
must pay special attention to fishing nets (bottom and cage nets), because the marking is often difficult to see. Passing over such nets should be avoided.

Licences for boating

Navigating waterways, such as the Great and Small Szczecin Lagoon, Peenestrom and the Oder, south of Szczecin, and the Vistula Curonian Lagoons, requires possession of the German sea-going sport boat licence (or a corresponding licence from another country). Other parts of the area (e.g. Peene) are inland waterways on which a licence for inland waterway-going vessels is re-
quired (or a corresponding licence from another country).

When sailing on the Vorpommernn Bodden Landscape National Park, §4 of the boating regulations states that the red and green marked areas (Protection Zones I and II) may not be travelled on
outside of the fairway. Boats up to 15 hp may be used without a licence in the lake and inland area.

Poland(Pommern & Zachodniopomorskie)
Motor yachts with a power output of 75 kW and a hull length of up to 13 metres can be operated without a boating licence if the maximum speed is a maximum of 15 km/h due to the boat’s design.

Curonian Lagoon & Nemunas Delta
Boats up to 10 hp can be operated without a licence.

Boats up to 25 hp may be operated without a licence.

An International certificate is needed. See also


Emergency sea rescue stations are present in all the countries but may be organised differently.

Bremen Rescue, T: +49 421 536870, UKW Kanal 16, Arbeitskanal 70

Water rescue across Poland, T: +48 601 100100 Witowo Radio, Świnoujście MRSC T: +48 91 321 49 17
Gdynia MRCC, T: +48 58 6610197
SAR Tolmicko (zuständig für das Frische Haff),
T: +48 552316155

Lungby Radio, T: +45 728 5000, Kanal 16 und 70
MRSC Bornholm, T: +45 56 94 24 16

MRCC Klaipeda, T: +370 46391257

MRCC Kaliningrad, T: +7 4012 538470

Restricted areas

The restricted areas on the outskirts of Poland are in front of Świnoujście (No. 13), before Dziwnów (No. 12), between Ustka and Darłowo (Nos. 6, 6a + b), and in front of the Hel Peninsula (Nos. 10, 11). The transit times usually depend on the port office or can be requested from the Hydrographic Office of the Polish Navy or in Germany at the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH)

Maintaining a distance of 12 nautical miles (international regulations for territorial waters) from the Russian coast when passing the Kaliningrad region without stopping is recommended.

Animals on board

Transporting animals within the EU requires a “pet passport” to be carried, which can be assigned to the animal on the basis of a microchip. In addition, the animal must have an up-to-date vaccination against rabies (initial vaccination at least 21 days
before entry).


Germany, Poland, Denmark, Lithuania are members of the EU and the Schengen area. Boats entering and leaving a harbour in these countries are not checked at the border. Boats arriving from third countries (non-EU and non-Schengen) are regularly checked when crossing borders.

In addition, random checks may also be carried out within the Schengen area, often even if the boat had already crossed the border some time previously.

EU citizens need a valid visa to enter the Kaliningrad/Russia region. Further information on the entry requirements for boats can be found on the following website:

Water-level forecast

The water depths of the Bodden and Lagoon Waters vary considerably and are often very shallow outside of the fairways. It is advisable to follow fairways along the buoyed passage. The
water depths in the current nautical charts must be observed and compared with the depth gauge, as many entrances tend towards silting up.

Federal Office for Maritime Traffic and Hydrography:

Hydrographical Agency of the Polish Marine:

National Inland Waterway Administration:


The weather in the Bodden and Lagoon Waters is also subject to rapid changes. The current weather forecast should be consulted before departure. Most harbour offices display the current local forecasts. For general forecasts, the following portals are useful:

Weather Services

Further recommendable weather forecasts

Means of payment

In Germany and Lithuania, the national currency is the Euro, in Denmark the Danish Crown, in Poland the Złoty and in Russia the Rouble. The daily exchange rates can be found on the website of the European Central Bank: All countries have ATM systems. Attention: In Germany, smaller shops do not always accept credit cards. Payment by cash is often the only option.

Time differences

In Lithuania, the time difference to CET is plus 1 hour (UTC: plus 2 hours). In the Kaliningrad region, the time difference is only plus 1 hour to CET during wintertime (UTC plus 2 hours). In the summer, USZ1 is the same as CEST, because Russia no longer changes time during this period.